The Democratic Party is committed to ensuring that every eligible voter is registered, every registered voter is able to vote, and that every vote is accurately counted.
This case could force states to leave out large segments of their populations when drawing state legislative districts simply because they’re not voters – that means children under 18, permanent legal residents, DREAMers, and everyone else who cannot vote would not be counted and would be left invisible for purposes of state representation. Simply put: this is an attack on children and minority communities and a threat to the ability of state legislators to serve their constituents.
How can you help? As our partners, we ask that you:
- Inform your network about this case and what would happen if the Supreme Court rules in favor of Evenwel
- Write letters to the editors and op-eds
- Use social media to spread the message about the case
Here are some resources to help you in your outreach and engagement:
- DNC Statement on Evenwel v. Abbott
- DNC Factivist on Evenwel v. Abbott
- DNC Evenwel v. Abbott toolkit
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz Sun Sentinel Op-ed
- DNC Democratic Women’s Alliance Webinar on Thursday, December 17th, 2015
It’s up to all of us to inform our communities about the case and its short- and long-term consequences.
Do you like this page?