Sign up to attend the May Members Meeting.
This is an especially important meeting because we will be deciding on three people to nominate to be a member of the Milwaukee County Election Commission and three people to nominate to be a member of the Milwaukee City Election Commission. These election commissions play critical roles in conducting every election in Wisconsin, including any audits or recounts.
Here are the rules for this special process.
- The Democratic Party of Milwaukee County election of nominees to the Milwaukee County and City of Milwaukee Election Commissions will be held on Monday, May 17, 2021.
- The election will be to nominate three candidates to be forwarded to each Appointing Authority (3 for the City and 3 for the County). The three candidates receiving the most votes in each category shall be the ones who have their names forwarded to the appropriate Appointing Authority.
- Any member who has paid their dues as of 5pm on Friday, May 7, 2021, will be eligible to vote in the election and/or be a candidate for office.
- One official ballot will be used for the election with sufficient space for write-in candidates. Persons wishing to have their name on the ballot shall submit a declaration of intent to run on or before 5:00 p.m. Friday, May 7, 2021 to County Chair Chris Walton: [email protected]. The announced candidates will be will be included in the newsletter on Thursday, May 13, 2021.
- The nomination speech for each candidate is not to exceed three minutes. Then each candidate will be allowed to speak for no more than five minutes. Times will be strictly enforced. If either election has uncontested candidates, nomination speeches will be limited to one minute and candidates’ speeches will be limited to three minutes.
- A majority of members present and voting shall be sufficient to elect. In the event that there are more than three candidates for a position and no candidate receives a majority of the votes on the first ballot, the one with the lowest votes will be dropped and balloting will continue, with the lowest vote getter struck after each ballot, until three candidates get a majority of the votes. In the event of a tie, balloting will continue until one candidate gets a majority of the votes.
- Registration for the Zoom meeting will close at 5 p.m. on Sunday, May 16, 2021. Only those who are paid mambers of the party and who have registered by that date and time will be eligible to vote.
Do you like this page?