“Democrats will always fight to end discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, language, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability." -Democratic Party Platform
No matter who you are, who you love, where you’re from, or how you worship, Democrats are fighting for you.
Every American, no matter their race, sex, ethnicity or national origin, language, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability, is equal, and Democrats are fighting for them. Democrats have a long and proud history of defending civil rights and expanding opportunity for all Americans. From the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act in 2009 to including marriage equality in the party platform in 2012. We are committed to protecting voting rights, freedom of religion, women’s right to make their own health care decisions, and equal federal rights for LGBT couples. We strive for criminal justice reform, and common sense approaches to reduce and prevent gun violence.
Democrats will fight to protect equality for everyone against any force that threatens a group of Americans simply because of who they are or what they believe.
“We are committed to doing everything we can to build a full-employment economy, where everyone has a job that pays enough to raise a family and live in dignity with a sense of purpose.” -Democratic Party Platform
Democrats believe that our economy should strengthen our country and work for every American, not just those at the top. We are committed to helping all Americans meet the challenges of the 21st century by spurring job creation, rebuilding our infrastructure, investing in clean-energy technologies and small businesses, and making sure corporations, the wealthy, and Wall Street pay their fair share.
When President Obama took office in 2009, he inherited an economy in freefall, with huge deficits, skyrocketing healthcare costs, dwindling employment, and banking and housing markets on the brink of collapse. Working with the President, Democrats stabilized the financial system, helped to prevent a second Great Depression, and created millions of new jobs.
15.5 million new private-sector jobs since early 2010 and the lowest unemployment claims in decades: That’s the progress that Democrats made under President Obama, and that’s the progress we’re working every single day to protect.
“Democrats have been fighting to secure universal healthcare for the American people for generations, and we are proud to be the party that passed Medicare, Medicaid, and the Affordable Care Act.” -Democratic Party Platform
Democrats are committed to preserving and protecting the right for everyone to have basic healthcare security. When President Johnson signed Medicare into law in 1965, that healthcare security was finally available to America’s seniors. In 1997, Democrats passed the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), which currently covers 8 million kids. It has taken nearly a century to extend that basic measure of security to all Americans.
Since 2010, 20 million Americans gained healthcare coverage and the uninsured rate has been cut almost in half through the Affordable Care Act. The Affordable Care Act allows young adults to stay on their parents’ insurance until age 26, protects against discrimination of pre-existing conditions, and has enabled 8 out of 10 Americans who purchase health insurance in the marketplace to receive benefits for less than $100 per month. The Affordable Care Act also provides tax credits to small businesses to help offset the costs of employee coverage and tax credits to help families pay for insurance. It has even allowed states to expand Medicaid to help even more Americans get covered. Democrats believe that healthcare is a right, not a privilege, and our healthcare system should put people before profit.
“Democrats know that every child, no matter who they are, how much their families earn, or where they live, should have access to a high-quality education, from preschool through high school and beyond.” -Democratic Party Platform
Democrats recognize education as the most pressing economic issue in America’s future, and we cannot allow our country to fall behind in a global economy. We must prepare the next generation for success in college and the workforce. Our country is strongest when our workers are trained with the knowledge and ingenuity to perform at the highest levels. Every child should have the opportunity to reach that horizon and to fulfill the American Dream.
Democrats want every child - no matter their zip code - to have access to a quality public K-12 education, and for college to be affordable for every American. We know that as the global marketplace grows more competitive, we need to expand opportunities for higher education and job training. Democrats are committed to increasing the college-completion rate as well as the share of students who are prepared for budding industries with specific job-related skills. In recent years Democrats have further increased access to higher education and restructured and dramatically expanded college financial aid, while making federal programs simpler, more reliable, and more efficient for students. Democrats are committed to protecting the progress made, because affordable public education is the foundation of our middle class.
“Democrats believe that climate change poses a real and urgent threat to our economy, our national security, and our children’s health and futures, and that Americans deserve the jobs and security that come from becoming the clean energy superpower of the 21st century.” -Democratic Party Platform
Democrats are committed to curbing the effects of climate change, protecting America’s natural resources, and ensuring the quality of our air, water, and land for current and future generations. From investing in clean energy to protecting our ecosystems, Democrats are working to address our biggest environmental challenges, paving the way to a more sustainable America.
Democrats want to protect and build on President Obama’s progress. They know that climate change is one of our nation’s greatest challenges, and that addressing this urgent threat could make America the world’s clean energy superpower and create millions of good-paying jobs. Democrats will fight to protect the Paris Agreement to protect our planet for future generations
It will take all of us acting together — workers and entrepreneurs, scientists and citizens, the public and the private sector — to address the challenge of climate change and seize our clean-energy future.
“Democrats believe immigration is not just a problem to be solved, it is a defining aspect of the American character and our shared history.” -Democratic Party Platform
Democrats know the importance of our country’s history as a nation of immigrants. We honor our fundamental values by treating all people who come to the United States with dignity and respect, and we always seek to embrace — not to to attack — immigrants.
Democrats will continue to work toward comprehensive immigration reform that fixes our nation’s broken immigration system, improves border security, prioritizes enforcement so we are targeting criminals - not families, keeps families together, and strengthens our economy.
Thanks to President Obama, hundreds of thousands of DREAMers have been able to receive a temporary status that allows them to study, work, pay taxes, and contribute to the communities they grew up in. His administration has made a tremendous difference by prioritizing immigration enforcement so that it is focused on those with criminal records and doesn’t arbitrarily separate families, and Democrats are fighting to protect that progress.
THE 2016 DEMOCRATIC PLATFORM
Every four years, the Democratic Party puts together our party platform, the ideas and beliefs that govern our party as a whole.
What follows is our 2016 platform — our most progressive platform in our party’s history and a declaration of how we plan to move America forward. Democrats believe that cooperation is better than conflict, unity is better than division, empowerment is better than resentment, and bridges are better than walls.
It’s a simple but powerful idea: We are stronger together.DOWNLOAD THE PDF
Choose a section to jump ahead, or scroll down to read the platform in its entirety.
- Raising Workers’ Wages
- Protecting Workers’ Fundamental Rights
- Supporting Working Families
- Helping More Workers Share in Near-Record Corporate Profits
- Expanding Access to Affordable Housing and Homeownership
- Protecting and Expanding Social Security
- Ensuring a Secure and Dignified Retirement
- Revitalizing Our Nation’s Postal Service
- Building 21st Century Infrastructure
- Fostering a Manufacturing Renaissance
- Creating Good-Paying Clean Energy Jobs
- Pursuing Our Innovation Agenda: Science, Research, Education, and Technology
- Supporting America’s Small Businesses
- Creating Jobs for America’s Young People
- Reining in Wall Street and Fixing our Financial System
- Promoting Competition by Stopping Corporate Concentration
- Making the Wealthy Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes
- Promoting Trade That is Fair and Benefits American Workers
- Ending Systemic Racism
- Closing the Racial Wealth Gap
- Reforming our Criminal Justice System
- Fixing our Broken Immigration System
- Guaranteeing Civil Rights
- Guaranteeing Women’s Rights
- Guaranteeing Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Rights
- Guaranteeing Rights for People with Disabilities
- Respecting Faith and Service
- Investing in Rural America
- Ending Poverty and Investing in Communities Left Behind
- Building Strong Cities and Metro Areas
- Promoting Arts and Culture
- Honoring Indigenous Tribal Nations
- Fighting for the People of Puerto Rico
- Honoring the People of the Territories
- Protecting Voting Rights
- Fixing Our Broken Campaign Finance System
- Appointing Judges
- Securing Statehood for Washington, DC
- Strengthening Management of Federal Government
- Building a Clean Energy Economy
- Securing Environmental and Climate Justice
- Protecting Our Public Lands and Waters
- Making Debt-Free College a Reality
- Providing Relief from Crushing Student Debt
- Supporting Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Minority-Serving Institutions
- Cracking Down on Predatory For-Profit Schools
- Guaranteeing Universal Preschool and Good Schools for Every Child
- Securing Universal Health Care
- Supporting Community Health Centers
- Reducing Prescription Drug Costs
- Enabling Cutting-Edge Medical Research
- Combating Drug and Alcohol Addiction
- Treating Mental Health
- Supporting Those Living with Autism and their Families
- Securing Reproductive Health, Rights, and Justice
- Ensuring Long-Term Care, Services, and Supports
- Protecting and Promoting Public Health
- Ending Violence Against Women
- Preventing Gun Violence
- North Korea
- Cybersecurity and Online Privacy
- Non-Proliferation of Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological Weapons
- Global Climate Leadership
- Women and Girls
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People
- Trafficking and Modern Slavery
- Young People
- Religious Minorities
- Civil Society
- Closing Guantánamo Bay
- Development Assistance
- Global Health
- HIV and AIDS
- International Labor
- Justice, Human Concerns, and Democracy
- Education, Labor, and Economics
- Agriculture and Environment
- Foreign Affairs
Past Resolutions:Read more